Monday, March 7, 2011

March Presidency Message

Well, here it is March…I love March because it is always fun to see the daffodils and tulips coming up…we all know that they are a promise of Spring!  A few days ago, I went out to my mailbox and there was my Ensign…I love it when the Church magazines come, they are like getting a present in the mail! I especially enjoyed the article in the Ensign entitled, “Charity Never Faileth:” A Discussion on Relief Society.  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and his wife Patricia T. Holland share their thoughts on the role of Relief Society. I thought I would share a few quotes from their article.

(Relief Society) “It’s not a program per se.  It is the gospel –
the gospel in action in the lives of our remarkable women.  In difficult times we realize it offers its members, and by extension the whole Church, just what we need to help us right now.”

“Relief Society is needed now more than ever before because of the challenges we face in the world today.  The women of the Church have a greater need to be righteous, to live close to the Spirit, and to be faithful.  And women need each other too, in order to keep and sustain their faith.”

“Each one of us who makes the journey down the gospel path is an individual – a daughter or a son of God.  As individual members, we must be absolutely rock solid.  No organization is going to be any stronger than its people, no home any stronger than its foundation.”

“When I think of all the blessings we as Latter-day Saints share in our temples, our wards and branches, our marriages, and our families, I realize it all comes back to how the Priesthood and Relief Society – men and women – work together in a home as well as in the Church.”

What a wonderful article, well worth reading!  I am so grateful for Relief Society and how I learn so much about the gospel, and not only that…I know Relief Society helps to strengthen my family as they see me participating in this great work.  I agree with Elder Holland when he says, “Even when our children were very young, they could recognize their mother’s devotion to the gospel and the role that a woman plays in it…It is clear from their mother’s example that our children know the crucial, exalted place of women in their lives and in the kingdom of God.”

What a blessing Relief Society is to all of us.  We thank each of you dear sisters for the wonderful examples you are, for your great faith, love, and devotion to Relief Society. We love you and pray for you always.

Love,
    Jocelyn Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment