Just a few days ago, my sister in law had her second child, a beautiful baby girl…born February 29th J What fun it was to hold that sweet, new little girl! I wondered what she was thinking and what she remembered about our heavenly home. I also wondered what her life would be like…What kind of life would she create for herself through her choices surrounding the circumstances she will face?
Today, as I watched my children work together at building a few snowmen in our front yard, it brought to mind that same topic…CREATING. I thought about the many things we can create in our lives and then I thought about the kind of life we create for ourselves.
What kind of life are we creating for ourselves through the choices surrounding our own circumstances? In a talk given by Joseph B. Wirthlin entitled, “The Abundant Life,” he says, “We are happiest when our lives are connected to others through unselfish love and service.” What a true statement…each one of us knows the joy that comes into our lives when we create an atmosphere of love towards our fellowmen through simple acts of love, kindness, and service.
Yesterday, I witnessed someone reaching out to another as they shoveled snow from the sidewalks and driveway of a neighbor. Then in return the neighbor who had been served, reaching out to thank the person who gave their time and energy in shoveling their snow with a card of thanks letting her know that she was their ‘snow angel.’
As I have thought about recognizing what kind of life I am ‘CREATING’ on a daily basis, I know it is important to remember that there really is a ‘spark of greatness within each one of us,’ just as Elder Wirthlin says…and so I will end with a quote from his talk which says:
“There is a spark of greatness within every one of us – a gift from our loving and eternal Heavenly Father. What we do with that gift is up to us.
Love the Lord with all your heart, might, mind, and strength. Enlist in great and noble causes. Create of your homes sanctuaries of holiness and strength. Magnify your callings in the Church. Fill your minds with learning. Strengthen your testimonies. Reach out to others.
…Sisters, the abundant life does not come to us packaged and ready-made. It’s not something we can order and expect to find delivered with the afternoon mail. It does not come without hardship or sorrow.
It comes through faith, hope, and charity….Who knows of what we are capable if we only try? The abundant life is within our reach if only we will drink deeply of living water, fill our hearts with love, and create of our lives a masterpiece.”
I know that we really can create of our lives a masterpiece as we rely on our Savior, Jesus Christ and the enabling power of His Atonement… We can learn to become like Him.
Much Love,
Sister Jocelyn Walker
No comments:
Post a Comment