Friday, February 15, 2013


February Stake Relief Society Newsletter

As I have been reflecting on our play, “The Eternal Legacy of Relief Society,” my thoughts have continued to be filled with deep gratitude for everyone in our stake who helped or supported us in this endeavor. We all felt so blessed and filled with the Spirit throughout that night, and we also felt that this was what our Heavenly Father wanted to have happen. 

Since that evening, I have thought about all of the things I am thankful for that Relief Society teaches mesuch as: We ARE beloved daughters of our Heavenly Father and He DOES love us and watch over us. He has given us the gift of the Holy Ghost, scriptures, prophets, temples, the ability to communicate to Him through prayer, opportunities to serve and to learn and grow. He has given us this incredible organization of Relief Society and opportunities to grow in our sisterhood if we so choose. He has given us the blessings of the priesthood, and family, friends and neighbors to watch over and care for…
What it all comes down to is this: 

What will I do in my life to show my love and gratitude to 
Heavenly Father for everything He has given me? 

When Elder Jeffery R. Holland spoke in General Conference, he reminded us about how the Savior asked Peter several times, “Do you love me?” Peter answered on the third time, “Lord…thou knowest that I love thee.” Elder Holland in his own words describes what he felt the Savior was trying to say when he said, “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore by these same nets, having this same conversation?
Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? 

What I need, Peter, are disciples – and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do….Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach, labor and serve…loyally.” 

In my mind, I can hear the Savior speaking to each of us Relief Society sisters…
’what I need is for each of you to feed my sheep and to save lambs… to teach,
labor and to serve… loyally through this great organization of Relief Society.’ 

And so, what I have learned from Relief Society, and will continue to learn is just what Sister Nicki Hunter’s message was in our play…it really is all about Love! It is all about that first and great commandment, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind.”
And then to remember that if we love Him we will keep His commandments…
if we love Him, we will love and serve one another.

As a stake Relief Society, we want you to know of our love for you and how blessed we have felt to have this opportunity to serve you and to serve with you in this great organization of Relief Society!  May our Heavenly Father bless each of you in your lives.

With much love, 
Lisa, Barbara, Jocelyn, Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment